If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Freistaat Bayern||Bavaria|
|Landkreis: Lindau (Bodensee)|
The old town of Lindau is situated on an island off the northeastern shore of the Bodensee (Lake Constance).
The first mention in a document dates from 882 AD and referred to a cloister that had been founded here already several decades before.
The cloister had opened a market on the lake shore, but later transferred this market onto the island in 1079. This became the beginning of Lindau's
history as a trading town. Around 1274/75, Lindau became an independent Imperial city. In 1528, Lindau became protestant, but the whole surrounding
parts of the area on shore, and even the noble Ladies' convent on the island remained catholic. Lindau was one of the few protestant cities
that did not sign the 'Confessio Augustana' (Augsburger Bekenntnis), which was delivered to the Emperor at the Diet of
Augsburg in 1530. Instead, the reformer Martin Bucer (Butzer) drew up the 'Confessio Tetrapolitana' (Vierstädtebekenntnis) together
with Konstanz, Memmingen and Straßburg (Strasbourg). In 1728, most parts of the old town were destroyed by
a large fire. After the fire, the town was rebuilt in Baroque style. In 1805/06, Lindau became part of the Kingdom of Bavaria.
In 1835, a dam for the railway was built to connect the shore with the island. The new harbour of the town was opened in 1856.
After World War II, the district Lindau was the only part of Bavaria that was occupied by French Allied troops.
In 1955, Lindau became part of Bavaria again.
The port entrance [right] with the sculpture of the Bavarian Lion (6 m high) and the lighthouse (33 m high), completed in 1856, is the beloved landmark of Lindau. The port is considered to be the most beautiful of all harbours on the lake.
The picture on glass no. 1353 [left] shows the
Several glasses of this collection show other ships.
Another place of the same is Lindau, part of the municipality of Zerbst / Anhalt.