If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Mecklenburg-Vorpommern||Mecklenburg-West Pomerania|
Binz is situated in a bay at the eastern side of the island of Rügen in the Baltic Sea. The first mention of the village (Byntze) dates back to 1318. The development as a sea resort began at the end of the 18th century. Binz became officially recognized as a sea resort in 1884 and became an independent municipality in 1892. The town is famous for its well-perserved architecture, typical for sea resorts of the late 18th and early 19th century.
The Kurhaus [left] was built in 1908 after the original building of 1893 had been destroyed by fire in 1906.
The jetty [right] was built in 1902 and originally had a length of 560 m. It was destroyed by a storm tide in 1905
but was rebuilt shortly after that. In 1942 the jetty, which had already partly been derelict, was again destroyed, this time by the forces of the winter ice.
A new, modern jetty was only built in the 1990s. This new jetty has a length of 370 m and is still the longest of its kind on the island of Rügen.