If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Vysočina||Highlands (Jihlava) region|
|Okres: Žďár nad Sázavou|
Žďár nad Sázavou is situated at an elevation of 580 m on the river Sázava. The history of the place goes back to a hermitage that was founded in 1240 by monks from the monastery at Osek (Osseg). In 1251, the hermitage became a Cistercian monastery. During the Hussite Wars, the village and the monastery were destroyed in 1422. After the wars it was rebuilt and became a town in 1607. The monastery was renovated in the Baroque period, but was eventually was closed in 1784. Since then, the former monastery was used as a residential castle. Today, the castle belongs to the National Museum at Prague.
The two pictures on glass no. 116 [left] show the two parts of Žďár, Zámek Žďár (Saar-Schloss) [top] and Město Žďár (Saar-Stadt) [bottom].
The pilgrimage chapel [top picture: background] on the hill Zelená Hora (Grüner Berg) was built in 1719–1722 by the architect Giovanni Santini. The chapel is dedicated to the most popular saint of Bohemia, St. John of Nepomuk.
The view depicted in the top picture on glass no. 3700 [right] is labeled
Údolí Sázavy u Žďáru, 'Sázava valley near Žďár'.