If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Moravskoslezskż kraj||North Moravia and Silesia (Ostrava) region|
Karviná is stuated at an elevation of 252 m on the river Olše (German: Olsa, Polish: Olza) in the eastern part of the Czech Republic. The place was first mentioned in a document of 1268. In the early times, the place was called Arnoldsdorf. Coal deposits were discovered in 1776, and coal mining began in 1785. Since then, Karviná steadily developed into one of the major coal mining areas of the former Austrian Empire. Despite Polish claims, Karviná became part of the Czechoslovakia after a conference of allied ambassadors in 1919/20. During World War II the town was annexed by Poland in 1938, but was restored to Czechoslovakia in 1945.
Darkov was first mentioned in 1447. After 1945, Lázně Darkov (German: Bad Darkau, Polish: Darków Zdrój) was incorporated into the city of Karviná together with the old town of Fryštát (German: Freistadt, Polish: Frysztat) and several other villages.
The Darkov spa was opened in 1869. The waters from its mineral springs contain iodine and bromide. A new sanatorium was built in 1931/32.
Glasses no. 1390 [far left], no. 2698 [near left: bottom picture] and no. 1471 [right: far left in picture]
The top picture on glass no. 2698 [near left] shows
The picture on glass no. 1471 [right] also shows