If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
Lienz, the administrative centre of East Tyrol, is situated at the confluence of the rivers Isel and Drau.
The place had already been inhabited by the Illyrians. The first mention in a written document as Luenzina
dates from about 1022–1039. In 1252, it received the status of a town.
From that time until 1500 it was in possession of the Counts of Görz (now Gorizia, Italy)
who since 1253 also were Counts of Tyrol. In 1258, the countries of the Counts of Görz and Tyrol were divided
and Lienz remained with the line of Görz. After the death in 1500 of the last count, Leonhard of Görz, Lienz became part of
the Habsburg countries as part of the County of Tyrol.
The castle Schloss Bruck was first mentioned in a document in 1277 and
was built by the Counts of Görz as their residence. During the 16th and 18th centuries it was enlarged. The chapel of the castle contains
frescos of 14901496.