If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
Werder is situated on an island in the river Havel just opposite of Potsdam in Brandenburg. The earliest settlements on the island originated in the 9th or 10th century. The earliest mention of Werder is found in a document of 1317 related to the sale of the little town to the monastery of Lehnin. Throughout the centuries, Werder was well-known as a town of fishermen and winegrowers. During the course of the 18th century wine-growing declined, but since that time Werder is known for fruit-growing. Tourism became important during the late 19th century. After the incorporation of several of the surrounding villages, Werder today has a population of about 20,000.
the Heilig-Geist-Kirche (church of the Holy Spirit) [background left] goes
back to a church of the 12th century. The church was rebuilt in 1734 in early Baroque style. That church was remodelled and extended
in neo-Gothic style in 1856–1858 by the architect August Stüler.