If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.

Bundesland: Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Mecklenburg-West Pomerania
Landkreis: Vorpommern-Rügen  



pl: Zielin
sr: Зелин ru: Зеллин

Sellin on the eastern coast of the island Rügen was first mentioned as Zelinische beke in 1295. For centuries (until the abolision of serfdom in 1806) the village and its inhabitants belonged to the domains of the Princes of Putbus. After the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648) it became part of Sweden and remained so until 1815 when it was handed over to Prussia. 1540 Sellin

Sellin's the tradtion as a sea-side spa at the Baltic Sea coast began in 1887 when the first hotel was opened. Between 1896 and 1912, the flourishing period of Sellin, most of its characteristic lush villas were built.

In order to ease the arrival of tourists, the first sea pier was built in 1906. The first pier (shown on glass no. 1540 [left]) was replaced by new constructions twice when high seas caused the collapse of the pier in 1924 and in 1942. After the war the pier was used as a dance hall. In the 1970's the pier had become derelict and in 1978 was replaced by a reconstruction of the pier of 1927.