If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Středočeský kraj||Central Bohemia region|
Křivoklát is situated at an elevation of 295 m at the stream Rakouvnický potok near its confluence with the river Berounka in central Bohemia.
Křivoklát castle is one of the oldest and most important castles in Bohemia.
Its origins date back to the 12th century. Under the reign of the Kings Přemysl Otakar (Ottokar) II and Václav (Wenzel, Wenceslaus) II
in the 13th century it was extended in Gothic style to become a splendid Royal residence, which was later considerably rebuilt by Václav IV and finally was completed
by Vladislav (Ladislaus) II Jagellon in the 14th and 15th century. During the Hussite uprisings the Bohemian crown jewels were brought here for protection.
In later times the structure was damaged several times by fires.
It was then converted into a prison, and its importance declined rapidly. During the 19th century
the castle was restored in Romantic style by the Princes of Fürstenberg who owned the castle until 1929.
The area in the vicinity of the castle has been protected by the UNESCO as a biosphere preservation area in 1977
(see also list of other UNESCO heritage sites).