If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
Kronberg im Taunus is situated at an elevation of 231 m in the southern slopes of the Taunus mountains in southern Hesse.
The history of Kronberg goes back to the foundation of the castle in 1220 by the lords of Eschborn. Ten years later, a document for the first time mentioned the name Cronberg. Cronberg was chartered as a town in 1330, and in 1367 also obtained the privilege as a market place. A military conflict with the nearby city of Frankfurt ended with a victory by Cronberg and its allies in a decisive battle near Eschborn. In spite of this the relationship between the two towns remained peaceful throughout the following centuries. When the last of the Lords of Kronberg died without issue in 1704, the Kronberg domains, which also included the neighbouring villages of Schönberg, Niederhöchstadt and Eschborn, became part of the Archbishopric and Electorate of Mainz. After the Peace of Lunéville in 1802, the archbishops of Mainz lost their secular powers, and in 1803 Cronberg was awarded to the Princes (1806 Dukes) of Nassau-Usingen.
Cronberg also became a spa place in 1821 (the mineral srings had already been known since 1568). In 1866 the Duchy of Nassau was annexed by Prussia. Since the 18th century, Cronberg had been well-known for its fruit-growing. During the 19th century businessmen and bankers from Frankfurt made Cronberg a favoured site of residence. Many fashionable villas were built during that period. At the same time Cronberg also became home to a famous colony of artists and painters. A further boost for the development of Cronberg was the decision of Empress Victoria, widow of German Emperor Friedrich III, to take up residence in Cronberg. During World War II Kronberg was mostly spared from bomb raids. In 1972 the neighbouring communities of Oberhöchstadt and Schönberg were incorporated into Kronberg.
Kronberg castle [left] was founded in 1220 by the lords of Eschborn who later called themselves lords of of Cronberg. The lower parts of the castle were added in 1440–1505. Between 1894 and 1912 the castle was restored by Victoria, the widow of Emperor Friedrich III, and her family. The castle was owned by the Hessische Hausstiftung until 1992 when it was purchased by the city of Kronberg. Since 1994 it is owned by the Foundation Burg Kronberg im Taunus.
Castle Friedrichshof [top right]
was built in 1889–1894 for Dowager Empress Victoria. Since the tragic death in 1888 of her husband,
Emperor Friedrich III, only 99 days after his accession, Victoria called herself Empress Friedrich.
The palace was residence of Empress Friedrich until her death in 1901.
In 1954, the impressive palace weas converted into a hotel ("Schlosshotel Kronberg"). The hotel is categorized
as a "Leading Hotel of the World".