If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
Bad Dürrheim is situated at an elevation of 733 m in a basin of the river Baar in southwestern Baden-Württemberg. The town has a population of about 12,700 (2004).
The earliest written mention of Durroheim is found in a document of 889 AD. Later documents mention the names Diureheim and Diere. The latter version of the name is actually still used in the local dialect. Around 1300 the place was in possession of the commander of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Villingen. In 1806 Dürrheim became part of the Grand Duchy of Baden.
A subterranean salt deposit was discovered in 1822. From 1823 until 1972 the saline which contains about 27% of salt
was used for the production of table salt. Since 1883 the saline was also used for therapeutic purposes.
In 1921 the town was recognized as a spa and the prediacte 'Bad' was added to the name of the municipality.
In 1974 Bad Dürrheim obtained the status of a city, in 1976 it was officially recognized as a climatic spa and in 1985
it was awarded the predicate 'saline spa'.