If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
Bad Vöslau is situated at an elevation of 276 m at the eastern slopes of the Wienerwald (Vienna Forest) mountain region, about 35 km south of Vienna and 5 km south of the district town, Baden. Due to its thermal springs, Bad Vöslau is a popular spa town. The thermal springs are located on a geological fault line called Thermenlinie (thermal line) which runs from the south of the municipal area of Vienna (sulphur spring in Oberlaa) southward through Mödling, Baden to Bad Vöslau and Bad Fischau.
The earliest written mention of a lord of Veselove is found in a document of the monastery of Klosterneuburg, dating from 1136.
The castle of Vöslau, originally a moated stronghold, probably goes back to the 11th century. The chapel of the castle was a regional centre of the Reformation
between c.1580 and 1620. During the Counter-Reformation Vöslau was incorporated into the Catholic parish of Gainfarn. In 1773 the domain Vöslau came
in possession of the Fries family who obtained the rank of Counts of the Empire in 1783. During this period, the castle was remodeled and received
its current appearance.
The first bath was opened in 1822 and was extended in 1837.
In 1826 the Fries family went bankrupt and the domains had to be sold. Although the family repurchased the domain in 1837,
the spa was sold to the municipality in 1887, the domains were sold off in 1901. The predicate 'Bad' (spa) was officially awarded to the municipality in 1924.
In 1954 Vöslau obtained the status of a town. Since 1974 the castle is used as the town hall of Bad Vöslau.