If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|województwo: Zachodniopomorskie||voivodship: West Pomerania|
|powiat: Choszczno||county: Choszczno|
Recz (German name: Reetz) is situated at an elevation of 95 m on the left bank of the Iną river in the Choszczno county of West Pomerania.The city has a population of about 3,000 (2004).
In 1294 Cistercian nuns built a monastery on the remains of a former Slavic stronghold next to the, originally Slavic, village of
Kietz (which remained a separate community until 1938 when it was incoporated into Reetz). German settlers founded another
village, Reetz, which in 1296 was mentioned as a town. In 1369 the family von Wedell obtained Reetz as a pawn (later fief)
from the Electors of Brandenburg and remained in possession of the domains until 1810. During the Reformation, the Cistercian nunnery was secularized and
became a domain of the Electorate. After the administrative reform in the kingdom of Prussia, Reetz became part of the
district Arnswalde (today Choszczno) in the Prussian province Brandenburg ("
The picture on glass no. 2952 [left] is labeled "Denkmal für die im Weltkrieg gefallenen",
The town church of St. Catherine [near left, no. 2221: background right] was built in 1340–1355.