If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Freistaat Bayern||Bavaria|
Zwiesel is situated at an elevation of 585 m in Bavaria's district of Regen at the confluence of the rivers Kleiner Regen and Großer Regen which here form the river Schwarzer Regen. The municipality has a population of about 9,700 (2010) and consists of the borroughs Ableg, Bärnzell, Glasberg, Griesbach, Innenried, Klautzenbach, Lichtenthal, Rabenstein, Theresienthal, Zwiesel and Zwieselberg.
The earliest written document mentioning Zwiesel dates from 1255. As the place was located at trading route to Bohemia close to its border, it soon became an important reloading place for goods. Already in 1313 it is mentioned as a market town. The town's coat of arms was granted by Duke Albrecht V of Bavaria in 1560. The famous glass industry of Zwiesel was founded in 1421 (Rabenstein). Mining for alum, sulphates, iron ores and other metals goes back until the 16th century. The famous Theresienthal crystal glassworks were founded in 1836, the Annathal glassworks (later Schott-Werke, today Zwiesel Kristallglas) were founded in 1872. In 1904 Zwiesel obtained the status of a town.