If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Freistaat Sachsen||Saxony|
Pöhl is a municipality in the Vogtlandkreis district of western Saxony and consists of 12 localities: Barthmühle, Christgrün, Helmsgrün, Herlasgrün, Jocketa, Liebau, Möschwitz,Neudörfel, Rentzschmühle, Rodlera, Ruppertsgrün and Trieb. The original locality of Pöhl was abandoned when in 1961 the hydro dam Pöhl, damming the river Trieb, was filled. The new centre of the municipality is now in Jocketa. The municipality has a population of about 2,600 (2012).
Pöhl was first mentioned in a written document in 1521 in connection with iron hammer mills in this place. Mining for iron was stopped in the late 17th century but iron working continued. Jocketa (Gockta) was first mentioned in 1419, Ruppertsgrün (Rodensiedlung) in 1365, Herlasgrün (Helbergsrune) in 1380, Helmsgrün in 1418, Rentzschmühle in 1464, and Möschwitz already in 1266. Barthmühle (mentioned in the labeling on glass no. 2983 [left] was one of the three localities of the municipality Jocketa, which was merged with the municipality of Pöhl in 1994.
The Elster Viaduct (Elstertalbrücke) [background right] carries the railway line Leipzig–Hof over the valley of the river Weiße Elster. After the Göltzsch Viaduct (Göltzschtalbrücke; see Netzschkau) it is the second largest brick bridge in the world. The Elster Valley Railway (Gera–Greiz–Plauen–Weischlitz) passes under the 68-metre-high bridge. The viaduct was built in the course of the construction of the Leipzig–Hof line of the Saxon-Bavarian State Railway (Sächsisch-Bayerische Staatseisenbahn). The foundation stone was laid on 7 November 1846. Up to 800 workers worked on the bridge from 1846 to 1851, laying 12 million bricks. In contrast to the Göltzsch Viaduct, which is only nine metres higher, it was built with normally shaped arches on only two levels. The lower level has five piers, four of which are built as double piers. The foundations of the piers and the deck were built out of slabs of granite. In the last days of the World War II, on 16 April 1945, the German Wehrmacht partially demolished the bridge. This meant that trains from the southwest could only run as far as Röttis and from the northeast only as far as Jocketa. A temporary bridge was erected by attaching a steel truss to the remains of the demolished central supporting pier, which supported the girders of a timber bridge. This important bridge was reopened to traffic in February 1946. The final reconstruction of the two collapsed masonry brick arches was completed in October 1950. The bridge has a hight of 68 metres and a total length of 279 metres, the maximum span of the arches is 31 metres.
The Charlottenturm (today Julius-Mosen-Turm) [far background] is located on the Eisenberg (435 m) is a popular tourist attraction of the area. Already in 1882 a wooden lookout tower was constructed on this site. This was replaced by the present brick tower (14 metres high) in 1897. The tower was named Charlottenturm after the wife of the owner of the Pöhl domains. After World War II it was reopened for the public in 1953 and was renamed Julius-Mosen-Turm on the occasion of the 150th anniversaary of the Vogtland region poet (1803–1867; Mosen today is best known as the author in 1831 of the Andreas-Hofer-Lied 'Zu Mantua in Banden', which in 1948 was made the official anthem of Tyrol). The tower was renovated in 1995.
The insciption on glass no. 2983 reads:
Gruss a./d.Vogtl.-Schweiz / Barthmühle m. Elstertalbrücke & / Charlottenturm. / Höhe 68 m, Länge 278 m, Breite 8 m / Baukosten 8 Mill. Mrk. Erb. 1846/51
The German pronunciation of Pöhl is [pø:l], identical to the that of the island of Poel, located off the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
[https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pöhl, https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elstertalbrücke; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elster_Viaduct;