If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Jihočeský kraj||South Bohemia (České Budějovice) region|
Veselí nad Lužnicí is situated at an elevation of 407 m at the confluence of the rivers Lužnice and Nežárka in the district Tábor of Central Bohemia. The municipality has a population of about 6,500 (2016).
The place was first mentioned in a written document dating from 1259 as being a property of Wok of Rosenberg (Rožmberk). In 1302, it became a property of king Václav II. In 1362, it obtained the status of a town of the royal chamber. After the Hussite Wars of the early 15th century, the town prospered again under the governance of Peter Wok of Rosenberg. After his death, Veselí became a property of the lords of Schwanberg (Švamberk). In 1660, the counts (1670 princes) of Schwarzenberg obtained the domains and remained in their possession until 1918. In 1908, the market town obtained the status of a town. Under the German occupation, Veselí nad Lužnicí (Wesseli an der Lainsitz) and Mezimostí nad Nežárkou (Mesimost an der Naser) (see below) were merged into a single municipality under the name Frohenbruck. After Worls War II, the name Veselí nad Lužnicí was reintroduced for the entire municipality. Plans of Mezimostí nad Nežárkou to become a separate municipality again remained unsuccessful.
The Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross [top picture]
dates back to the 13th century.
Mezimostí nad Nežárkou is istuated opposite of Veselí nad Lužnicí at the confluence of the rivers Lužnice and Nežárka. Mezimostí was first mentioned in the 14th century. In the 19th century, the railway station in Mezimostí became one of the most important Czech railway stations being a junction connecting Ceské Budějovice, Třeboň, Tábor and Jindřichův Hradec. In 1908, Mezimostí obtained the status of a market town. In 1943, the two towns were merged under the name Frohenbruck. After the end of World War II, the combined town was renamed back to Veselí nad Lužnicí. Attempts of Mezimostí nad Nežárkou to become an independent, separate municipality again remained, however, unsuccessful. Today, officially the name Mezimostí nad Nežárkou is not even used any more, this part of the combined municipality being refered to as Veselí nad Lužnicí II (and former Veselí nad Lužnicí as Veselí nad Lužnicí I).
The chapel of St. Florian [right] in the centre of Mezimostí was built in 1715–1718. It was extended in 1862 by a tower and a presbytery.