If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|województwo: Dolnośląskie||voivodship: Lower Silesia|
|powiat: Ząbkowice Śląskie||county: Ząbkowice Śląskie|
Ziębice (German: Münsterberg) is situated at an elevation of 208 m on the right bank of the river Oława in the distict (powiat) Ząbkowice Śląskie, about 50 km south of Wrocław. The municipality has a population of about 8,900 (2016).
The Slavic name Sambice was first mentione in 1234; the earliest document mentioning the German name Munsterberck dates from 1253. Bolko I, duke of Schweidnitz (Świdnica) founded a castle here, which in 1231 became the residence of his son, Bolko II as duke of Münsterberg. The suzereignty of the Bohemian Crown was acknowledged in 1336. The last duke from the dynasty of the Silesian Piasts died in 1428 and the duchy was pawned to the Častolowitz. Between 1443 and 1456 the duchy was held by the duke of Troppau (Opava) from the Bohemian Přemyslide dynasty. In 1456 the Bohemian king George of Podiebrad styled his sons duke of Münsterberg. In 1530, the residence of the duchy was transfered to Frankenstein (Ząbkowice Śląskie). After the First Silesian War in 1742, the town together with most of Silesia became part of Prussia. The duchy was mediatised and in 1791 was purchased by the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm II. From 1742 until 1885 Münsterberg was a garrison town, from 1816 until 1932 it was the administrative centre of a district. In 1872 the town was connected to the railroad from Breslau (Wrocław) to Mittelwalde (Międzylesie). After World War II the town became part of Poland, the official name of the town was changed to Ziębice and the German-speaking population was expelled.
The parish church of St. George [left, no. 3544: background]
was built in 1265–1275. The choir and two chapels were added in the 15th century. Remodeled at the beginning of
the 18th century, another remodeling in 1898–1900 tried to reestablish a Gothic (revival) appearance.
The church obtained the status of a Basilica minor in 2008.