If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Středočeský kraj||Central Bohemia region|
Lysá nad Labem is situated at an elevation of 183 m on the right bank of the river Labe about 14 km west of the district town, Nymburk. The municipality has a population of about 9,700 (2019).
The place was first mentioned in the Cosmas Chronicle (1119–1125). Nov&á Lysá was first mentioned in 1291. In the 13th century, a castle was built here and until the reign of the Luxembourgs, the town was property of the Czech queens. Lysá was mentioned as a town as early as 1291. The town suffered heavily during he Hussite wars (ca. 1419–1434) and again during the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648). Lysá began to flourish again in the 17th century.
Lysá caste [background top left] dates back to the 11th century. Its forst mention in a written document seems to date from 1052. In the 13th century it was a Gothic castle with a moat and towers. The castle was destroyed during the Hussite Wars and was rebuilt in late Gothic style thereafter. Following a fire in 1558 it was rebuilt in Renaissance style in 1560–1602. In the second half of the 17th century, the castle was remodeled in early Baroque style. the final redemoling in magnificent Baroque style was finished in 1738&ndash 1739. Further remodelings, this time in Classicist style, took place around 1755 and in 1812–1815 (however, parts of the southern wing were destroyed in 1862).
The church of the Birth of St. John the Baptist [background right],
the parish church of Lysá nad Labem, was built in the first half of the 18th century.