If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|județ Brașov||Brașov County|
The market town Rupea is situated in Brașov county on an old trading route that connected Transilvania with Moldova in the east and Wallachia to the south.
The oldest document mentioning th castrum Kuholm dates from 1324 and refers to the old
peasants' fortress [right] that is situated on a basalt rock on the
northwest side of the town. Rupea (Reps) was one of the so-called "7 German towns of Transilvania" — together
with Schäßburg (Sighișoara, Segesvár), Mühlbach (Sebeș, Szászsebes),
Großschenk (Cincu, Nagysink), Reußmarkt (Miercurea Sibiului, Szerdahely),
Leschkirch (Nocrich, Újegyház) and Broos (Orăștie, Szászváros)
plus the main town, Hermannstadt (Sibiu, Nagyszeben) — that were granted the right to appoint there own leaders,
their own clergy and judges, and operate markets and courts.
In 1488, the town is first mentioned as Roppesch. The fortress was enlarged during the 15th century. In 1790, a storm destroyed the roof of the castle.
Since then, it fell into dereliction. Inside the castle, a well (40 m deep) that supplied drinkable water still exists.
The sulphurous mineral springs of Rupea are used for the treatment of rheumatic diseases and nervous system disorders.