If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
The bureau of Ferdinand Fellner jr. (18471916) and Hermann Helmer (18491919) operated from 1873 until 1919 and was one of the best-known architectural bureaus in Europe. It specialized in the design and construction of theatre buildings and participated in the construction of 48 theatres throughout Europe. Most of these theatres are still in use today.
The following list contains buildings that were planned and/or designed by Fellner & Helmer and which are depicted on glasses of this collection.
Augsburg (D): Stadttheater (1877)
Budapest (H): Népszinház (National Theatre) (1875)
Fürth (D): Stadttheater (Municipal Theatre) (1902)
Gießen (D): Stadttheater (1907)
Graz (A): Opernhaus (1899)
Liberec (CZ): Divadlo Františka Xavera Šaldy (1883)
Vienna (A): Volkstheater (1889)
Wiesbaden (D): Staatstheater (1894)
Чернівці (Černivci) (UA): Teatrul im. Olgi Kobylyanskoy (1905)
Karlovy Vary (CZ): Vřídelní kolonáda (Sprudelkolonnade) (1879)
Karlovy Vary (CZ): Císařské lázně (Kaiserbad) (1895)
Semmering (A): Hotel Erzherzog Johann (1899)
Semmering (A): Hotel Panhans (1913)
Zagreb (HR): Umjetnički paviljon (Art Pavilion) (1898)
Budapest: Népszinház (1875)
Glass no.117: see Budapest (H)
The National Theatre (Népszínház) (German: Volkstheater) was built in 18741875 as a private theatre for the "Volkstheater AG" (National Theatre Inc.). The theatre had 2,400 seats. From 1908 until 1964 it was home to the Nemszeti Színház (National Theatre) drama company. The building was demolished in 1965 during the construction of an underground train system.
Augsburg: Stadttheater (1877)
Glass no.1590: see Augsburg (D)
The Stadttheater (Municipal Theatre) [left, no.1590: bottom left] was built in 18761877. It was re-opened in 1939 after extensive renovations and altreations, but was destroyed by bombs on 25/26 February 1944. A modern theatre was built in its place in 19521956.
Karlovy Vary: Vřídelní kolonáda (Sprudelkolonnade) (1879)
Glasses no.695, 802, 870, 1632: see Karlovy Vary (CZ)
The Vřídelní kolonáda (Sprudel-Kolonnade, Spring Colonnade) [left: no.695, right: no.802, below right: no.870] houses the best-known of the springs of Karlovy Vary. The "Sprudel" [below left: no.1632], located on the right bank of the Teplá river, is the strongest of all the local springs. It supplies 2,000 litres per minute. The primary temperature is 73°C, but parts of the waters are also cooled down to 57°C and 41°C for dringking purposes. The fountain (1214 m high) in the colonnade is one of the popular tourist attractions. The spring had already been known long before Karlovy Vary was founded. The earliest attempts to protect the waters from floodings by the Teplá river date already from around 1500. The cast-iron colonnade was built in 1879 on a design by Fellner and Helmer. This wonderful construction existed until 1939. Provisional wooden colonnade buildings replaced it in 1940 and 1945/1947. A modern construction was finally built in this place in 19691975.
Liberec: Divadlo Františka Xavera Šaldy (1883)
Glass no.2807: see Liberec (CZ)
The municipal theatre [left] was built in 18811883 by the famous Austrian architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer in Renaissance revival style after the previous theatre, named "Tuchmachertheater" ('Clothmakers Theatre') had been destroyed by a fire in 1879. Originally, the theatre had been planned for a capacity of 1050, but due to the fire that shortly before had destroyed the Ring Theatre in Vienna it had to be reduced to 850 seats. The main curtain was an early work of Gustav Klimt which he carried out together with his colleague Franz Matsch. Unfortunately, the curtain is in a very poor condition today. Originally, the theatre had been named Reichenberger Stadttheater as it only had a German ensemble. The theatre became famous as a starting point for the career of many later very wellknown actors and singers in the Austrian Monarchy. As of 1923, opera guest performances also were given in Czech language by the theatre company from Olomouc. From 1945 onward, all performances were giiven in Czech language. The theatre was subsequently renamed Severočeské divadlo ('North Bohemian Theatre') and since 1957 is named Divadlo Františka Xavera Šaldy after the Czech critic and writer František Xaver Šalda (18671937).
[http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._X._Šalda-Theater, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/František_Xaver_Šalda, http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/index.html]
Vienna: Volkstheater (1889)
Glass no.026: see Vienna (A)
The Volkstheater (the original name until 1945 was 'Deutsches Volkstheater') was built 18871889 for the citizens of Vienna as a counterpart to the Hofburgtheater. The two architects became famous for this type of building and built more than 50 theatres and opera houses in numerous cities in and outside the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. The dome of the building was destroyed in 1945 and reconstructed in 1980/81.
Wiesbaden: Staatstheater (1894)
Glass no.1610: see Wiesbaden (D)
The Staatstheater Wiesbaden (Hessisches Staatstheater), originally named Königliches Theater, was built in Neo-Baroque style 18921894. The Neo-Rococo foyer was added in 1902. The picture on the glass shows the back side of the theatre facing the park Warmer Damm.
Karlovy Vary: Císařské lázně (Kaiserbad) (1895)
Glass no.2382: see Karlovy Vary (CZ)
The Císařské lázně (Kaiserbad, Emperor Bath, today Bath I) [left: no.2382] was built by the architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer in 18931895 in French Renaissance revival and Art déco style. A luxury appartment on the upper floor once was reserved exclusively for Emperor Franz Joseph I.
Zagreb: Umjetnički paviljon (Art Pavilion) (1898)
Glass no.577: see Zagreb (HR)
The Art Pavilion (Umjetnički paviljon) [left, no.577: top left picture] on King Tomislav Square (Trg kralja Tomislava) is the oldest exhibition hall on the Slavic south and the only building that has been purposely built for major, representative exhibitions. In 1895 the painter Vlado Bukovac launched the initiative for the construction of the Art Pavilion. After the closing of the Millennium exhibition in Budapest, the iron construction frame of the Croatian pavilion was transported to Zagreb. The architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer were charged with designing the building while local constructors were in charge of the construction works. After two years of construction, the Pavilion was formally opened on December 15, 1898, with the representative exhibition 'Croatian Salon'.
Graz: Opernhaus (1899)
Glass no.2337: see Graz (A)
The Opernhaus [left, no.2337] was built in 18981899 by the famous architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer. The theater, built in Baroque revival style, was named Stadttheater (Municipal Theatre) at the time. During World War II it suffered some minor damages of the front parts. Nevertheless, the building was not restoerd to its prior appearance; instead, the façade was simplified, most of the ornamental statues and stuccos were removed, and the portico was pulled down. The interior decorations, however, are still preserved. Major renovation works were carried out in 19831985, including the construction of a steel and glass skywalk between the theatre and the new stage warehouse (i. e. the stage house of the old Thalia-Theater). The original iron curtain, painted by Alexander Rothaug was also restored at that occasion. The theatre originally had a capacity of 1,800 seats plus 200 standing; today it has 1,267 seats and 100 standing. It is used by the "Bühnen Graz" for opera, musical and ballet performances.
Semmering: Hotel Erzherzog Johann (1899)
Glass no.822: see Semmering (A)
The Grand Hotel Erzherzog Johann [left], situated at the highest point of the pass, was built by the famous architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer in 1898/99 and replaced an earlier inn of the same name. It has been replaced by a modern building in the 20th century.
Fürth: Stadttheater (Municipal Theatre) (1902)
Glass no.2898: see Fürth (D)
The Stadttheater Fürth (Municipal Theatre) [left] was built in 1901–2902 by by Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer for the city of Fürth, using plans they had originally designed for the Teatr im. Olgi Kobylyanskoy, Černivci (Ukraine) in 1900. The Chernivtsi project had been put on hold at the time. When it was finally constructed in 1904–1905, the original designs were used with slight alterations. Hence, the theatres at Chernivtsi and Fürth are very similar in appearance. The theatre was opened on 17 September 1902 with Beethoven's "Fidelio". Originally it was used in co-operation with the Nürnberg theatre company. Between 1933 and 1944 it was used by a resident theatre company, notably for operetta performances. After World War II, the U.S. Army used it as a military cinema. From 1952 it was again used as a theatre in co-operation with the Nürnberg theatre company. Alterations of the stagehouse and stage technology and interior renovations were made in 1971/1972. The original capacity was 1000 seats, today the theatres has 707 seats.
Чернівці (Černivci): Stadttheater (Municipal Theatre) (1905)
Glass no.2445: see Чернівці (Černivci) (UA)
The Theatre (Teatrul im. Olgi Kobylyanskoy) [left] was built in 19041905 as Municipal Theatre by the famous architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer from Vienna. The design had been projected for Czernowitz in 1900, but the project was put on hold for several years. Subsequently, the plans were first used by Fellner and Helmer for the Stadttheater
[Text adapted from http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/europe/ua_chernivtsi_teatr.htm]
Semmering: Hotel Panhans (1913)
Glass no.1292: see Semmering (A)
The Hotel Panhans [right] is probably the best-known of all traditional hotels in Semmering. The hotel was founded in 1888 and was transformed to a Grand Hotel in 1913 by the architects Ferdinand Felner and Hermann Helmer. With 400 rooms it was one of the largest hotels in Europe at that time. After the end of World War I and the break-up of the Austrian Empire, the hotel had to be sold off. It took until the 1930s that the hotel could regain its former position among the leading hotels in Europe. The great popularity ended after World War II. Finally, in 1969, the hotel had to close. In 1978, a joint venture of a private investment group, the municipality of Semmering and the state of Lower Austria began to revitalise the hotel, which was reopened in 1983.
Gießen: Stadttheater (1907)
Glass no.761: see Gießen (D)
The Stadttheater (Municipal Theatre) [left] was built in 1907. The theatre was partly destroyed during World War II. It was closed in 1944/45, but reopened already in 1946/47. A thorough renovation in the 1970s emphasized the remaining original parts in Art Nouveau and Neoclassical style.
If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.