If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|UNITED STATES OF AMERICA|
Cleveland is situated in northeast Ohio at the shore of Lake Erie at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River. The place was chosen as the site of a new settlement in 1796 by Moses Cleaveland, one of the direcdtors and surveyors of the Conencticut Land Company which had purchased the land in the Western Reserve region of Ohio in 1795. The settlement was named Cleaveland by the surveyors (the spelling of the name was changed to Cleveland in 1831). Cleveland was selected as the seat of the newly organized Cuyahoga county in 1810. The Ohio and Erie canal was built between 1825 and 1832 (abandoned in the 1920's). Cleveland was incorporated as a city in 1836. Cleveland and Ohio City merged in 1854. According to the census of 2000 Cleveland has a population of some 478,400 and is the second-largest city in Ohio.
The history of Wade Park [left] goes back to 1882 when Jeptha H. Wade, founder of the Western Union Telegraph Company, donated 73 acres of land and 14 American deer to the City of Cleveland for a public park and an art gallery. This was also the origin of the Cleveland Zoo, the seventh oldest zoo in the United States. By 1907, Cleveland City Council had made plans to build the Cleveland Museum of Art and decided to move the Zoo to Brookside Park which was completed in 1914. The Cleveland Museum of Art opened in 1916.
The Garfield monument [left] is located in Lake View Cemetary, in the suburbs of Cleveland, and is probably the first true mausoleum in America with the combination of tomb and memorial.
James Abram Garfield was born in 1881 on a frontier farm in Cuyahoga county. After graduation (1856) from Williams College in Massachusetts, he became a teacher of ancient languages and literature at the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute at Hiram, Ohio (the name was later changed, largely through his influence, to Hiram Institute), and later (18571861) was its principal. During the Civil War he served in the Union army and was a major general of volunteers when he resigned (1863) to take his seat Representative (Republican) in Congress. On March 4, 1881 he was elected 20th President of the United States. On July 2 of the same year he was shot in a Washington, DC railroad station and died from an infection and internal hemorrhage on September 19 after being taken to the New Jersey seaside for recuperation.
Many of the American people contributed to raise a large sum of money for the Garfield family. Some of this money was given to the Garfield National Monument Association which began construction of the monument in 1885. Five years later, the monument was completed and dedicated on May 30, 1890. The monument is constructed of native Ohio sandstone upon a design by George Keller, an architect of Hartford, CT, who had won the commission in a national competition. Inside the monument under the tower is a white Carrara marble life-size statue of Garfield. His tomb lies directly beneath the memorial hall.
The Soldiers and Sailors Monument [left] in Public Square in downtown Cleveland was built in 1894 to honor the 10,000 men from northeast Ohio who served in the American Civil War (18611865). Their names are engraved on the interior marble walls.