|SCHWEIZ / SUISSE / SVIZZERA / SVIZRA||SWITZERLAND|
|Waadt / Vaud / Vaud / Vad|
Gilly is situated at an elevation of 484 m about 10 km northnorthesat of the district town Nyon and about 20 km southwest of Lausanne, the capital of the canton of Vaud. The municipality has a population of about 1,400 (2022).
Juliasco was first mentioned in a written document dating from 1179, the name Gillie appeared first in 1228. In the MIddle Ages,
the monastery of Romainmôtier owned large parts of the area. Since the 14th century, Gilly was suboordinate, successively, to the
lords of Rolle, of Vincy, and of Mont-le-Gard. With the conquest of Vaud by Bern in 1536, Gilly came under the
administration of the bailiwick of Morges. After the collapse of the Ancien Régime, the village during
the Helvetic period sicne 1798 belonged to the district Rolle in the canton of Léman, which, following the Act of Mediation of 1803, was
then merged into the canton of Vaud.