|SCHWEIZ / SUISSE / SVIZZERA / SVIZRA||SWITZERLAND|
|Waadt / Vaud / Vaud / Vad|
Gimel is situated at an elevation of 730 m above the river Saubrette, about 15 km west of the district town Morges and about 25 km west of Lausanne, the capital of canton Vaud. The municipality has a population of about 2,400 (2022).
Gemella was mentioned for the first time in a written document in 979. The name likely goes back to the Latin gemella, 'twin'.
In the Middle Ages, the abbey of Saint-Maurice and then the monastery of Romainmôtier owned large parts of Gimel. The village then
came in posession of the lords of Aubonne probably in 1357. Since the conquest of Vaud by Bern
in 1536, Gimel was placed in the bailiwick of Aubonne in 1701. After the collapse of the Ancien Régime, the village belonged to the
canton of Léman (district Aubonne) from 1798 to 1803 during the Helvetic period, which was then merged into the canton of Vaud
following the Act of Mediation in 1803. After an alkaline spring had been discovered in the 19th century, Gimel developed into a spa
and bathing resort. Gimel, together with the entire district Aubonne, was merged into the district Morges in 2008.