Gutenberg in situated at an elevation of 764 m at the end of the Lenninger valley about 2 km southeast of Lenningen and about 28 km southeast of the district town, Esslingen. The village has a population of about 700 (2018) and is part of the municipality of Lenningen.
The oldest wknown written document that mentions Gutenberc dates from 1285. At the time, the place was part of the possessions of the
dukes of Teck. In 1370 it was mentioned as a town for the first time, but it is assumed that it obtained these
privileges already in 1305. Together with Oberlenningen, Gutenberg came in possession of the counts of Württemberg in 1387 and in the
following period, the status as a town was fell into oblivion. From 1808 the place belonged to the district Kirchheim, which was largely
incorporated into the district of Nürtingen in 1938. In the course of municipal area reform in Baden-Wüürttemberg,
The dsitrict Nürtingen was merged into the district Esslingen. In 1975, Gutenberg, Oberlenningen, Schopfloch and
Unterlenningen were merged into the new municipality of Lenningen.