|SCHWEIZ / SUISSE / SVIZZERA / SVIZRA||SWITZERLAND|
|Genf / Jussy / Ginevra / Genevra|
Jussy is situated at an elevation of 470 m at the Swiss–French border in the northeast of the canton of Genève, about 10 km northeast of the canton's capital. The municipality has a opulatio of about 1,200 (2022).
The first written mention of Jussiacum Episcopi ('Jussy of the bishop') dates from 1180. In the 13th century, the bishops built a fortress in this place. In the mid-13th century, the dukes of Savoy extended their territories considerably, so that Geneva even became enclaved in Savoyan territory. From then on, the history of Jussy (as well as that of the other episcopal mandates) depended on the fate of the political — and sometimes military — struggle between Geneva and Savoy, which seeked to annex it. The fortress of Jussy was ceded to Savoy in 1290. In 1449 the pope granted the dukes of Savoy the right to appoint the bishops of the dioceses of Savoy including Geneva, so that from then on the bishops of Geneva were either members of relatives of the Savoy family. In the struggle between Geneva and Bern. The intervention in 1536 of troops from Protestant Bern led to the adoption of Reformation in the territory of Geneva including Jussy. With the Treaty of Turin of 1754 the neighbouring communities of Gy and Sionnet were attached to the community of Jussy. From the invasion of the troops of the young French Republic in 1798 and until the fall of Napoléon I in 1814, Geneva was annexed to France and became the capital of the département du Léman. After the Napoleonic wars, Geneva including Jussy was admitted to the Swiss Conferedation in 1815. The Savoyard communities located between Geneva and Jussy were reallocated to the canton of Geneva by the Treaty of Turin of 1816. From the middle of the 19thécentury, the quartetr of Jussy-l'Église became the center of the commune. In 1891, the daily stagecoach service was replaced by a tram line, which connected Geneva (Cours de Rive) several times a day to Jussy-l'église in just 50 minutes. The tram line was electrified in 1902 but was replaced by a bus service in 1930.
The church of Sainte Marie-Madeleine [left, no. 0000] dates back to the 9th–10th
century. It was enlarged in the 11th, 12th and 16th centuries. Its bell tower dates from 1726. Since 1536 the church is Protestant.
Excavations carried out in 1973 found traces of a first sactuary from the Carolingian era.