|SCHWEIZ / SUISSE / SVIZZERA / SVIZRA||SWITZERLAND|
|Waadt / Vaud / Vaud / Vad|
Rougemont is situated at an elevation of 1,007 m slightly elevated above the upper Saane (Sarine) valley in the Pays d'Enhaut, about 29 km east of Vevey, the capital of the district Riviera-Pays-d'Enhaut, and about 45 km east of Lausanne, the capital of the canton of Caud. As of 31 December 2022 the municipality has a population of 829. The municipality also includes the village of Flendruz and numerous hamlets including Le Vanel and Ciernes-Picat. Both Rougemont and the Flendruz are part of the Inventory of Swiss Heritage Sites.
The place was first mentioned in 1104 under the Latinized name Rubeus Mons. The Pays-d'Enhaut area was conquered by the Counts of Gruyères (Greyerz) in the 10th century. They donated part of their territory to the abbey of Cluny, which founded the Rougemont Priory between 1073 and 1085. Rougemont thus became the spiritual center of the Pays-d'Enhaut. When the last Count of Gruyères went bankrupt in 1554, his creditors, the estates of Bern and Fribourg, divided the estate between them. This led to the division of the upper Saane Valley: the Pays-d'Enhaut and the Saanenland came to Bern, while Friboutg took control of the Gruyère region. Bern immediately implemented the Reformation in its area and the priory was abolished. Rougemont was incorporated into the bailwick of Saanen. In 1572, Bern had Rougemont castle built on the site of the former priory building, which became the bailiff's residence. After the collapse of the Ancien Régime, Rougemont during the Helvetic period from 1798 to 1803 belonged to the canton du Léman, which, following the Act of Mediation in 1803, was merged into the canton of Vaud.
The village of Flendruz is situated at an elevation 983 m above the confluence of the Ruisseau de Flendruz with the Sarine, above 2,5 km west of Rougemont.
The Pont de Flendruz (Flendruz bridge) [left, no. 0000] is the most important of the
62 viaducts and numerous structures along the MOB railwayline (Chemins de fer Montreux Oberland bernois, Montreux-Berner Oberland-Bahn),
connecting from Montreux via Les Avants, Montboven, Château-d'Œx
to Saanen, Gstaad and Zweisimmen. The bridge spans the Flendruz ravine formed by the
Ruisseau de Flendruz. The metal part of the bridge is divided into two spans of 41.6 m each, resting on a central pillar 26 m high.
The construction of the Pont de Flendruz was completed before the MOB railway was opened in 1904.