|SCHWEIZ / SUISSE / SVIZZERA / SVIZRA||SWITZERLAND|
|Waadt / Vaud / Vaud / Vad|
Saint-George is situated at an elevation of 936 m at the foot of the Crêt de la Neuve, about 15 km north of the district town Nyon, and about 28 km west of Lausanne, the capital of the canton of Vaud. The municipality has a population of about 1,100 (2022).
Sancti-Georgii in Essartinis was first mentioned in a document in 1153. The village goes back to a small Benedictine priory that was under the care of the Saint-Jean priory near Geneva. With the conquest of Vaud by Bern in 1536, the priory was secularised, and Saint-George came under the administration of the Bailiwick of Morges. After the collapse of the Ancien Rée;gime, the village during the Helvetic period from 1798 to 1803 belonged to the canton of Léman, which was then merged into the canton of Vaud following the Act of Mediation of 1803. In 1798 it was assigned to the district Aubonne. This district was dissolved in 2008 and most parts of which were merged into the district Morges while Saint-George, together with two other municipalities became part of the district Nyon.
The Protestant church of Saint-George [left, no. 0000] was already mentioned as early as 1153.
It has been rebuilt on various occasions. It has retained an interesting medieval choir, in Romanesque-Gothic style, while the nave, transformed
in 1762, was enlarged in 1877 with a neo-Gothic bell tower. The building was restored in 1958.
[https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-George, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-George, https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-George_(Vaud)]