|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Královéhradecký kraj||Hradec Králové region|
Janské Lázně is situated at an elevation of 630 m at the foot of the mountain Černá hora ('Black Mountain', 1299 m) in the moutain range Krkonoše (Giant Mountains; German: Riesengebirge).
Thirty radioactive, thermal and mineral springs discovered in the mid-16th century supply the waters used by the spa. The foundation of the spa dates back to 1677 when when several new spa houses were built by Prince Johann Adolf Schwarzenberg. In 1883 the municipality obtained the status of a market town. In 1935 the Institute for the Treatment of Post-Poliomyelitis Trauma was opened which made Janské Lázně the first spa to treat Poliomyelitis patients.
A cable car (length 3174 m) onto the Black Mountain was opened in 1926.
A new cable car (length 2235 m) opened in 1980.