Millstatt is situated at the northern shore of the Millstätter See (140 m deep, 13.3 km², the second-largest lake in Carinthia). The first mentioning in a document dates back to 1065–1075 (as Milistat).
The former Benedictine abbey [background right]
was founded around 1060–1088. The monastery was closed by order of Pope Paul II in 1469.
Since then it was in possession of the Order of St. George. Between 1598 and 1773
it was the seat of a Jesuit college. The former abbey church now serves as the
parish church (Sankt Salvator und Allerheiligen). The impressive church dates back to the
11th century, the romanesque west portal was created around 1170. Among other treasures,
the church contains a Renaissance fresco from 1513–1518 showing the Last Judgement.
The legendary first Christian duke of Carinthia, Saint Domitian, started being
venerated at around AD 800. His relics are kept in a glass shrine of 1643 in a
chapel of the early 16th century in the church.