|Bundesland: Oberösterreich||Upper Austria|
Attersee am Attersee is situated at an elevation of 469 m on the northwestern shore of Lake Attersee in Upper Austria and is a popular summer tourist resort and water sports centre. The first mentioning in a document dates from AD 885 (Atarnhova). The initial castle dated back to the 13th century.
The parish and pilgrimage church Maria Attersee [right] goes back to the old castle church and was rebuilt in Gothic style in the 15th century. Like so churches in the Attergau region it has two naves. In 1722–1728 the church was remodelled and enlarged in Baroque style. The mighty church tower dates from the same period.
The Attersee, also called Kammersee, is the largest lake (length 20 km, width 4 km, depth 171 m) of the Salzkammergut region and the Austrian Alps. Regular steamship traffic on the lake began in 1869/70.
The Austrian painter Christian Ludwig ATTERSEE (real name Christian LUDWIG, b.1940) took his pseudonym from Lake Attersee.