Pernegg an der Mur is situated at an elevation of 458 m on the river Mur in the southern part of its passage between the Gleinalpe and Fischbacher Alpen mountains. Traföß, part of Pernegg, was first mentioned in 1103 (Trevesse). Pernegg got its name from the castle of the same name (not visible on the picture on glass no. 103), which presumably was founded around 1130 by a knight named Bero.
The pigrimage church Heilige Maria was built
between 1448 and 1461 by the owners of Pernegg castle in place of an earlier Lady Chapel.
In 1774/75 Count Antonius of Leslie had the interior transformed to Baroque style.
The frescoes were painted by Joseph Adam von Mölk.
The high altar of 1740 houses the statue of Our Lady which was created around 1510.
The church also contains the marble tomb of Gallus Freiherr von Racknitz (1515),
the most important protestant tomb in Styria.