|Bundesland: Oberösterreich||Upper Austria|
Sankt Nikola an der Donau is situated at an elevation of 249 m on the left bank of the river Danube in the Strudengau region of Upper Austria. The first mentioning of the place in a document dates from 1185 (Hospitale de Pahin, derived from an old word, beie or boie, for rapids). In former times it was the place where ships coming down the Danube were unloaded. All goods were placed on carts because further transport on the river was too dangerous for shipping (the name Strudengau for this stretch of the river is derived from Strudel, also meaning rapids). The name Sanndt Nicla appears first in 1511. In 1572, it obtained the status of a market town. The name Sankt Nikola an der Donau became official in 1912.
The parish church Sankt Nikolaus [centre] was originally built in Romanesque and Gothic style.
During the second half of the 17th century the church was remodelled in Baroque style. Some frescos from the Romanesque and Gothic periods are preserved.
The church houses a statue of Our Lady dating from around 1500.