Mautern in Steiermark is situated at an elevation of 712 m in the valley of the Liesingbach stream in northern Styria. The old part of the town with houses mostly dating from the 16th and 17th century is well preserved.
The parish church Sankt Nikolaus [right] was first mentioned in 1187.
The present church dates from the second half of the 15th century. The nave received a new vaulting in 1605–1612.
The west tower was built in 1766–1774. The high altar of 1675–1680 holds a crucifix that became the object of special veneration.