Ormož is situated at an elevation of 203 m on the left bank of the river Drava in the Prodravska region of eastern Slovenia. The area between Ormož and Ljutomer (some 19 km to the north) is one of the most famous wine-growing regions of the country. The first vineyards were probably set up by the Romans. In the Middle Ages, the place was known under the name Holermuos, which is the origin of the Solvene name, Ormož. Knights of the Teutonic Order who were called into the country in 1222 found the area and the wine so agreeable that they named one of the places Jeruzalem (about 9 km north of Ormož). Ormož was chartered as a market town in 1293, and in 1331 obtained the privileges of a town. Its German name, which was used since about those times, was Friedau. The fortifications of the town were needed especially in 1487 to protect the town against Hungarian troops: Serious damages were caused by Ottoman troops in 1532, by the Hajduks in 1605 and by the Kuruc in 1704.
Ormož castle [background centre], built by the lord of Ptuj (Pettau) and separated from the town by a fortified wall, was first mentioned in 1278. When the lords of Ptuj became extinct in 1438, the castle passed into the hands of other noble families. Today, the castle is owned by the municipality of Ormož for representation purposes. The castle today also houses a library, a museum and a radio station.
The parish church sv. Jakob [far left] was first mentioned in 1271. The choir was added around 1400. In the first half of the 15th century a chapel was added which was converted into a side aisle in the first half of the 16th century. The church was rebuilt after a fire in 1647; at this instance the church received a barrel-vaulted ceiling and the bell tower was raised. The oldest frescos in the church date from aournd 1400.
[https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormož, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormož, http://www.24cities.eu/de/9-mest/staedte/ormo/, http://www.slovenia.info/?cerkev=7714&lng=2]