Veli Lošinj (Italian: Lussingrande) is situated at a narrow bay on the southeastern side of the island of Lošinj (Lussino), at the foot of the St. Ivan hill. Since the 18th century, shipyards operated here and in nearby Mali Lošinj. After Mali and Veli Lošinj became part of the Austrian Empire in 1815, both villages became famous climatic resorts due to their mild climate, mediterranian vegetation and beaches. Today Mali ('small') Lošinj is much larger than Veli ('grand') Lošinj, but with near 1000 inhabitants Veli Lošinj is still the third-largest settlement of this group of islands.
The parish church of St. Anthony the Hermit [left] goes back to a chapel built around 1480,
which had been enlarged in the 17th century. Today's impressive Baroque church dates from 1774. It contains the largest
collection of artistic paintings in the Kvarner bay, donated to the church by generous seafarers.