HOME NUMERICAL INDEX ALPHABETICAL INDEX HISTORICAL MAPS INDEX OF NAMES
DEUTSCHLAND GERMANY
Bundesland: Nordrhein-Westfalen North Rhine-Westphalia
Regierungsbezirk: Düsseldorf  
Stadt: Duisburg  

map

Duisburg

lv: Dīsburga fr: Duisbourg lt: Duisburgas es, it: Duisburgo
el: Ντούισμπουργκ
sr: Дуизбург be, bg, ru, uk: Дуйсбург

Duisburg is situated at an elevation of 33 m on the river Rhine and the river Ruhr. Already the Romans had fortified this place due to its strategic position at a ford across the Rhine. Duisburg was first mentioned in AD 883. During the 10th century it became a royal residence. In 1290 Duisburg came in possession of the counts of Kleve. Together with the duchy of Kleve it became part of the Electorate of Brandenburg in 1666. During the 19th century Duisburg became one of the centres of coal mining in the Ruhr region. Today Duisburg is the largest inner harbour of Europe.

1562 Duisburg

The Salvatorkirche (church of the Saviour) [left, no. 1562: top picture, centre; and right, no. 2011: right] is the historically most important church in Duisburg. Its first mention in a document goes back to AD 983. The wooden church of the 19th century was replaced by a Romanesque basilica in the 13th century. The present church was built between 1353 and 1415 in Gothic style. The church tower was rebuilt in 1513 after it had been destroyed by a fire in 1467. Since 1571 the church is a Protestant church. After another fire in 1613 it took until 1683 until the church and its tower were restored. The tower then received a Baroque roof. Restoration works between 1898 and 1904 aimed at recreating the old Gothic appearance. After severe damages during World War II, the church was restored until 1960. The tall Neo-Gothic spire which the church tower had received in 1904, however, was not rebuilt out of concerns about the tower's statics. The church holds the tomb of the famous cartographer Gerhard Mercator (1512–1594).

The Rathaus (Town Hall) [left, no. 1562: bottom left picture; and right, no. 2011: centre left] is located on the Burgplatz, which had been the site of a Frankish royal residence during the Middle Ages. The earliest mention of a town hall in Duisburg dates from 1361. When Duisburg had become a large industrial town during the 19th century, a new town hall was built in 1843. This building was replaced by an even larger building with its characteristic tower (67 m) between 1897 and 1902. This construction is depicted on glass no. 1562 [left]. The town hall was severely damaged during World War II. After the war the building was restored in reduced forms.

The Kaiser-Wilhelm-Denkmal (monument for Emperor Wilhelm I) [left, no. 1562: bottom right picture] on the Kaiserberg was created by the sculptor Friedrich Reusch in 1898. The bronze equestrien statue of the first German emperor (King of Prussia 1861, German Emperor 1871–1888) stood on a limestone base above an artificial rock understructure. Water from an artificial fountain cascaded from the rocks of the monument down along the slope of the Kaiserberg. All bronze parts of the monument were melted down in 1942.

2011 Duisburg

Bruckhausen

Coal mining in Hamborn/Bruckhausen (since 1929 part of Duisburg) began in 1867. After the French-German war of 1870/1871 and the foundation of the German Empire, the colliery was renamed Gewerkschaft Deutscher Kaiser [right] in 1871. In 1880 the colliery was acquired by August Thyssen who began to enlarge it to an integrated iron and steel mill in 1890. Almost all collieries in Duisburg were closed during the 1950s and 1960s.

 

1365 Duisburg: Bruckhausen
4190 Duisburg: Hamborn

Hamborn

... [Text in preparation]

1890 Duisburg: Meiderich

Meiderich

Meiderich is a northern district of the city of Duisburg, separated from Duisburg by the river Ruhr. The oldest mentions of Meiderich date from the 10th century. For centuries it was just a small village, but during the industrialisation during the 19th century it began to grow rapidly. In 1808 Meiderich was merged with the community of Ruhrort. In 1874 Meiderich and Ruhrort were separated again and Meiderich was chartered as a town in 1894. In 1905 Meiderich and Ruhrort were united with Duisburg. Duisburg's district of Meiderich/Beeck, which consisits of Beeck, Beeckerwerth, Bruckhausen, Laar and Meiderich, today has about 82,000 inhabitants.

The Rathaus (town hall) of Meiderich [left, glass no. 1890: top picture] was built in 1874. The building was destroyed in 1943.

The lower left picture on glass no. 1890 [left] shows the Nordhafen (north harbour) and Wasserturm (water tower) in Meiderich.

The origins of the Protestant church of Mittelmeiderich [bottom right] go back to the 11th century. The first church, a Romanesque basilica, was enlarged and rebuilt in the 14th and 16th centuries. This old church collapsed in 1862 and only the tower of 1502 remained. The church was then rebuilt in 1862/63. During World War II it luckily was only slightly damaged.

The famous painter Wilhelm LEHMBRUCK (1881–1919) was born in Meiderich.



[scale]
contact: webmaster