Warmond is situated at an elevation of −1 m at the lake Kagerplassen north of Leiden in South Holland.
The place was first mentioned in 866, the first mention of a chapel dates from 1063.
The name goes back to the old name of the ancient Rhine river branch (Warm or Warmunde), which now is called Leede/Hofleede.
During the Middle Ages, Warmond was one of the most important places of the area. The village was devastated
repeatedly during the Eighty Years' War (1568–1648) between Spain and the uprising Low Countries.
Since the Middle Ages Warmond was mainly a fishing village. From the 17th century on shipbuilding and textile industry
became important. Since the 20th century Warmond is a popular place for recreation activities.
In 2006 Warmond, Sassenheim and Voorhout were merged into the new municipality of Teylingen.