Übelbach is situated in the valley of the Übelbach stream, a contributory of the river Mur.
The village "Upilpach" was first mentioned in a document of the 1st half of the 13th century,
the so-called "Babenberger Urbar". The name is derived from that of the river, which frequently
flooded the area (Übelbach translated means 'evil stream').
During the 13th century, the village developed into a market town, especially after silver had been found
in the mountains nearby. Silver was mined here until around 1500. When silver mining was discontinued
the Habsburg sovereigns sold Übelbach to the Lords of Waldstein who already owned most of the valley.
Mining for zinc and lead continued until the 1940's. During the 18th century, hammer mills were set up
for the production of scythe blades. With the construction of the Mur valley railroad and the opening of
modern iron factories elsewhere during the late 19th century, the old iron works at Übelbach lost
their function and were finally closed. The market town of Übelbach today (2016) has a population of about