|Bundesland: Oberösterreich||Upper Austria|
Aigen im Mühlkreis [background] is situated at an elevation of 596 m on the river Große Mühl in northern Upper Austria. The place began to develop around 1240 as a trading place at a road to Bohemia, protected by the monastery of Schlägl [foreground right]. The first mention of Aigen is found in a document of 1314. In 1362 Aigen obtained the status of a market town. After World War II Aigen and Schlägl grew together, but still remain two independent municipalities. Today Aigen has a population of about 1,900 inhabitants.
The parish church Heiliger Evangelist und Apostel Johannes [background centre]
was built in 1897–1901 in Neo-Gothic style. Its large dimensions (35 m long, 21 m wide) are unusual for a community
of this small size. The large main altar from Carrara marble also is a rare example of Historicist art.