Rice County  



ru: Фэрибо

2476 Faribault, MN Faribault is located on the confluence of the Cannon and Straight Rivers in Rice County in southern Minnesota. The population was 20,818 at the 2000 census. Faribault is the county seat of Rice County.

Faribault is regarded as one of the most historic communities in Minnesota, with settlement and commercial activity predating Minnesota’s establishment as a U.S. Territory. Prior to 1745, the area was primarily occupied by the Wahpekute band of Dakotah. Shortly thereafter, the tribe was driven south after several clashes with the Ojibwe over territory. The city's namesake, Alexander Faribault, was the son of a French-Canadian fur trader and a woman of the Dakotah tribe. He is credited with fueling most of the early settlement activity in the area beginning in 1826, when he established a fur trading post on the banks of the Cannon River. By 1834, the trading post had grown in popularity and been relocated to the Straight River, one mile upstream of its junction with the Cannon River, the site of modern-day Faribault. The young Alexander Faribault used his knowledge of Dakotah language and culture to improve relations with the displaced Wahpekute and even helped the tribe to resettle in the area. This relationship was instrumental in ensuring the success of the trading post and allowing safe travel to the area for settlers. Spurred by the completion of the area’s first steam-powered sawmill in early 1854, the year that followed would bring Faribault from a sleepy settlement of 20 buildings to a bustling town with more than 250 buildings. Historians attribute Faribault's impressive growth during this period to a number of important milestones which were passed in 1855 and 1856, including the creation of new roads connecting to other settlements and trading posts in Iowa and Minnesota Territory, the new availability of mail service, and the rapid construction of schools and churches. The City of Faribault was platted in 1855 and granted a home-rule charter in 1872.

The picture on glass no. 2476 shows Shattuck-Saint Mary's School, a private college prep school for boys and girls grades 6–12. The institution was formerly three schools: Shattuck School (college prep for boys, grade 7–12), St. Mary's (college prep for girls, grade 7–12) and St. James (for elementary). Shattuck was originally an Episcopal military school, but evolved into more non-secular directions in the later 1970s. One enters Shattuck by driving through the stone arch which frames the stone buildings comprising the original campus (this image has been used in several movies). The most notable Shattuck attendee was Marlon Brando. In his autobiography he spoke glowingly of his classmates but was critical of the school administration. After being expelled prior to graduation for removing the clapper from the main bell (never proven), he received a letter from all his classmates in which they sent him their collective regards. The letter was one of only a few possessions which he appeared to appreciate throughout his life and it was framed and prominently displayed at one of his homes. [Text adapted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faribault,_Minnesota]

contact: webmaster