|Bundesland: Oberösterreich||Upper Austria|
The old town Grein is situated at a bend of the river Danube before its entry into the Strudengau, the narrow valley of the Danube between Upper and Lower Austria. Grein was first mentioned in a document of 1147 and obtained the freedom of the city in 1491. During the Middle Ages Grein was an important trading place for wine and wheat.
The castle Greinburg [top left, barely visible] was built between 1488 and 1493. Of this castle the tower remained until today, the remaining parts of today's castle date from after 1621. The castle is home of the Upper Austrian shipping museum.
The parish church Sankt ägidius [centre right], originaly from the Late Gothic period, was transformed in Baroque style after a large fire in 1642.
A jewel of the city is the Rococo theatre in the town hall. The theatre with 163 seats
was built in 1791 by the citizens of Grein, and still is used today for summer festivals.