Wolfsberg is the main town of the river Lavant valley in eastern Carinthia. From the 1053–1057 until 1759 it was in possession of the bishops of Bamberg. The first mentioning in a document dates from 1178. In 1331 the freedom of the city was confirmed.
The castle Wolfsberg [near left] was first mentioned in 1178 as property of the bishopric of Bamberg. The original castle was enlarged in the 16th century. Since 1846 it is in possession of the counts Henckel von Donnersmarck who renovated it in romantic neo-Gothic style in 1850.