|Castilla y León||Castile and León|
La Virgen del Camino is situated at an elevation of 906 m about 8 km west of León. With a population of about 4,800 (2011) it is the largest village in the municipality of Valverde de la Virgen.
The place's history began with the purported apparition of Our Lady on 2 July 1505. The name Virgen del Camino ('Our Lady of the Way') refers to its location on the famous pilgrimage route, Way of St. James. The original chapel, built in the 16th century, was rebuilt and enlarged later on. In its place, a moden basilica was built in 1957–1961.
In 1914, La Virgen del Camino [left] was declared patroness of León.