Matrei in Osttirol is the centre of the Isel valley and is situated at an elevation of 977 m at the confluence of the Tauernbach stream and the river Isel. During the 7th and 8th century the area was settled by Slavic tribes which later were replaced by Bavarian settlers. Around 1200, the area became part of the province of Salzburg. The first mentioning in a document dates from 1280 (forum de Matrei). During the Middle Ages Matrei's importance grew as it was situated on an important trading route connecting Salzburg via the Felbertauern pass with the south. A tunnel through the Felbertauern (length 5.4 km) was finished in 1967.
The parish church Sankt Alban was erected between
1777 and 1783 in late Baroque and early Classicist style. The ceiling frescos
were painted in 1783 by Franz Anton Zeiller (1716–1794). The altar-piece
was created in 1805 by Joseph Adam Mölk (ca.1714–1794). The spire was already built
for the previous Gothic church in the 14th century.