|län: Stockholms län|
Stockholm is the capital of Sweden and the most populous city in the Nordic countries; about 933,000 people live in the municipality, approximately 1.5 million in the urban area, and 2.3 million in the metropolitan area. The city is spread across 14 islands on the coast in the southeast of Sweden at the mouth of Lake Mälaren, by the Stockholm archipelago and the Baltic Sea. It is also the capital of Stockholm County.
The area has been settled since the Stone Age, in the 6th millennium BC. The earliest written mention of the name Stockholm dates from 1252, by which time the mines in Bergslagen made it an important site in the iron trade. According to the Eric Chronicles the city is said to have been founded in the summer of 1187 by Birger Jarl to protect Sweden from sea invasions made by Karelians. The city originally rose to prominence as a result of the Baltic trade of the Hanseatic League. Stockholm developed strong economic and cultural linkages with Lübeck, Hamburg, Gdańsk, Visby, Reval (Talinn), and Riga during this time. The strategic and economic importance of the city made Stockholm an important factor in relations between the Danish Kings of the Kalmar Union and the national independence movement in the 15th century. The 17th century saw Sweden grow into a major European power, reflected in the development of the city of Stockholm. In 1634, Stockholm became the official capital of the Swedish empire. After the end of the Great Northern War (1700–1721) the cuty stagnated. However, by the second half of the 19th century, Stockholm had regained its leading economic role. Stockholm became a modern, technologically advanced, and ethnically diverse city in the latter half of the 20th century. In 1998, Stockholm held the title of European City of Culture (see list of other European Cities / Capitals of Culture depicted on glasses of this collection).
Stockholm Palace (Stockholms slott) or the Royal Palace (Kungliga slottet) [left, no. 4381] is the official residence and major royal palace of the Swedish monarchs. The offices of the King, the other members of the Swedish royal family, and the Royal Court of Sweden are here. The palace is used for representative purposes by the King whilst performing his duties as the head of state. The royal residence has been here in the same location in the northern part of Gamla stan in Stockholm since the 13th century when the Tre Kronor Castle was built. After that original castle was destroyed by a large fire in 1697, a new palace was designed by Nicodemus Tessin the Younger. Due to the costly Great Northern War, which started in 1700, construction of the palace was halted in 1709, and not recommenced until 1727 — six years after the end of the war. When Tessin the Younger died in 1728, the palace was completed by Carl Hårleman who also designed a large part of its Rococo interior. The new palace ready to use in 1754, but some interior work continued until the 1770s. No major conversions have been done in the palace since its completion, only some adjustments, new interiors, modernization and redecorating for different regents and their families, coloration of the facades and addition of the palace museums.
Glasses no. 4382 [near left] and no. 3170 [below] are souvenirs from the Stockholm Arts and Industries Exhibition (Konstindustriutställningen) 1909, which took place on Djurgården island from 4 June until 30 September 1909. The exhibition only showed products from Swedish makers. The main architect of the exhibition grounds was Ferdinand Boberg who already had designed the Stockholm Exhibition (Stockholmsutställningen) 1897.
Glass no. 4382 [near left] shows a view of the
Glass no. 3170 [right] shows a view of the