Corvera de Toranzo is situated at an elevation of 168 m in the Pas-Miera region (also called Valles Pasiegos) in the part of the Pas basin that is known as the Toranzo Valley. The municipality consists of the localities Alceda, Borleña, Castillo Pedroso, Corvera, Esponzués, Ontaneda, Prases, Quintana de Toranzo, San Vicente de Toranzo (capital), Sel de Tojo and Villegar; the municipality has a population of about 2,100 (2017).
Alceda was declared a Site of Cultural Interest in the category of Historic-Artistic Site in 1985. This is due to the fact
that it has a series of houses with a coat of arms dating from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries located next to the
Camino Real, which, through the port of El Escudo, linked the Cantabrian coast with the Castilian plateau. There is an
abundant spring of sulphurous waters in the park of Alceda to which since 1842 it received many people to cure cutaneous