Metković is situated on the river Neretva in the Dubrovnik-Neretva County of southern Croatia at the border to Bosnia-Hercegovina. The municipality has a population of about 16,800 (2011), comprising the settlements Dubravica, Glušci, Metković, Prud and Vid.
Metković is located near the ancient Roman settlement of Narona (today Vid). Narona was established as a Roman trading post, after Rome's successful war (Illyrian Wars) with the neighboring Illyrian Daors tribe (ruins of their main city are located near Stolac), and successfully grew until the 3rd century AD. After that it went on a steady decline especially after a large 4th-century AD earthquake. Upon the arrival of Slavonic tribes in the mid-6th century AD, the city of Narona was abandoned with most parts being covered under silt that was carried by the river Neretva. The modern town was first mentioned in a 1422 court document as a small farming town. It remained this way until the 19th century. During this period the city found renewed investment from the country's Austrian rulers. With the arrival of the area's first post office and school, as well as the increase of trade with the Ottoman Empire, the city began to flourish. It was ruled by Ottoman Empire as part of Sanjak of Herzegovina between 1494 and 1685, laterly by the Republic of Venice till 1797 and finally by the French Empire before the Austrian Habsburgs took over.
The parish church of St. Elijah [background centre] is located in the old part of Metković, on the left side of the Neretva River, on the slopes of the Predolac hill. The parish was established in 1719. The first church in this site had been dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. The church of St. Elijah was built on the site of this older church in 1700; however, it soon became to small for the growing community and therefore it was expanded in 1780 and 1830. The present church was built in 1867–1870 in Romanesque and Gothic revival styles. The new church was finally dedicated in 1930.
The railway bridge [left] across the Neretva river was built in 1895
as part of the railroad connecting the port town of Ploče with Mostar and
Sarajevo. The railroad was opened in 1891, originally as a railroad in Bosnian gauge
(760–762 mm). In 1963–1966 it was realligned and rebuilt to standard gauge (1,435 mm).
In 1966 the line was electrified.