Kaindorf was founded around 1130 and is situated at an elevation of 342 m on the river Pöllauer Safen (Saifen) in eastern Styria.
The parish church Sankt Jakobus der ältere
(St. James the Greater) was first mentioned in 1313 and became
the seat of a parish after 1445. The present church was built 1715–1717.
The spire on top of the church tower was added in 1896.