|Communitat Valenciana / Comunidad Valenciana||Valencia|
|província: València / provincia: Valencia|
València (Valencia) is situated at Spanish Mediterranean coast, about 350 km south of Barcelona and 320 km southeast of Madrid at the mouth of the river Turia. It is the capital of the Autonomous Valencian Community. At a populaton of about 788,000 (2017) it is the third-largest city in Spain.
Valentia Edetanorum was founded as a Roman colony in 138 BC. In 714 Moroccan and Arab Moors occupied the city, introducing their language, religion and customs; they implemented improved irrigation systems and the cultivation of new crops as well. Valencia was the capital of the Taifa of Valencia. In 1238 the Christian king Jaime I of Aragon conquered the city. He also created a new law for the city, the Furs of Valencia, which were extended to the rest of the Kingdom of Valencia. In the 18th century Philip V of Spain abolished the privileges as punishment to the kingdom of Valencia for aligning with the Habsburg side in the War of the Spanish Succession. Valencia was the capital of Spain when Joseph Bonaparte moved the Court there in the summer of 1812. It also served as capital between 1936 and 1937, during the Second Spanish Republic.
The Torres de Quart, also called Torres de Cuarte, [near left, no. 4213] are one of the two fortified gates of the medieval wall of Valencia that are still standing. The complex is made up of two semi-cylindrical towers joined by a central body, where the door itself opens, in the shape of a semicircular arch. The Towers owe their name to the fact that they were located on the road that led from the city center, from the Plaza de La Virgen, where the Cathedral of Valencia is located, to the town of Cuart de Poblet. The towers were the western access for traffic coming from Castile. The Quart Towers were built between 1441 and 1460. In 1931 they were declared a National Monumemt.
The Exposición Regional Valenciana of 1909 was a commercial and industrial exhibition organized by the Mercantile Athenaeum of Valencia. It took place in Valencia from 22 May until 31 July 1909. The whole of the exhibition occupied an area of 16 ha, in the form of a fairground through pavilions and buildings located around the current urban framework of the Alameda de Valencia. The opening ceremony took place on 23 May in the presence of King Alfonso XIII.
The entrance to the fairgrounds [left, no. 3521] was designed by
D. Eustaquio Romero from San Sebastián.