|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
The market town Marbach an der Donau is situated at an elevation of 230 m on the left bank of the river Danube. The first mentioning of the name Marbach dates from 1144, but does not refer to a stream in the area. The village Marbach itself was first mentioned in a document of 1228. The rights as a market town were listed in 1454. Since 1860 ferries cross the Danube at this place.
The oldest part of the parish church Sankt Martin [right, no. 439: left], the Gothic chancel, dates back to the late 14th century. The nave was built in the 17th century, the interior decorations date from the 18th century.
The pilgrimage church Maria Taferl [top], the most important pilgrimage site in Lower Austria, is situated high on a hill above Marbach.