|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Vysočina||Highlands (Jihlava) region|
|Okres: Havlíčkův Brod|
Ledeč nad Sázavou is situated at an elevation of 353 m on the river Sázava in the district Havlíčkův Brod in the north of the Vysočina region. The municipality has a population of about 5,100 (2019).
The earliest mention of Ledeč (in German: Ledetsch) date from the 12th century. During the period of the Hussite wars, the town was a follower of Calixtinism (Utraquism). Until 1918, the town was a part of the Austrian monarchy (Austria side after the compromise of 1867), in the district of the same name (Ledetsch), in Bohemia. In 1921, Ledeč was renamed Ledeč nad Sázavou. Until 1960 it remained the administrative centre of the district of the same name. Since then it is part of the district Havlíčkův Brod, of which it is currently the third largest town.
Ledeč castle [background right] presumably was founded in the early
14th century as a Gothic castle on a rock above the river. The 32-metre high keep still dates from that period. As
the castle had fallen into bad shape by the 16th century, it was remodeled in Renaissance style from 1556 onward. In 1636
a gatehouse and two pentagonal bastions were added. In 1753 the castle came in possession of the Austrian ruler, Maria
Theresia. During the Seven Years' War (1756–1763) it was used as military barracks. In 1763 the Empress donated
the castle to the Prague convent of noble women. Following a large fire in 1879 it was renovated. Parts of the outer
fortifications were demolished in 1903 when a railroad was built below the castle. Parts of the castle were converted
into a museum in 19011. Since 1936 it is owned by the state. Today, it belongs to the state-owned Czech forest company.
The rooms are used as offices and apartments.
[https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ledeč_nad_Sázavou, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ledeč_nad_Sázavou, https://www.ledecns.cz/cs/mesto/o-meste.html; https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Ledeč_nad_Sázavou]